Sympathy Flower Etiquette
The loss of a loved one is a difficult path to journey along. Here we offer suggestions and information to help you during this time of sorrow.
Flowers For The Home
Vase or basket arrangements of flowers, dish gardens, basket of plants or a fruit basket are all thoughtful gestures to send to the home.
Flowers For The Service (Funeral Home)
Standing sprays, floor baskets, standing baskets, vases, and plants can be sent to the funeral home for the service. The baskets, sprays and vases are made to be one sided.
Although the color white is popular to use for funeral flowers, other colors are often used to celebrate the life of a loved one. A Celebration of Life honors a loved one and their achievements and allows family and friends to share their memories.
Popular Sympathy Flowers & Their Meanings
- Lily: sympathy, purity, renewal, rebirth
- Rose: love, respect, courage, friendship
- Hydrangea: heartfelt emotion, understanding
- Orchid: admiration, innocence, reverence
- Chrysanthemum: truth, grief, loyalty, support, encouragement
- Carnation: remembrance, love, admiration
- Gladiolus: strength, character
- Alstroemeria: enduring friendship
- Calla Lily: purity, sympathy, beauty
Suggestions for Things You Can Say in a Sympathy Card
- We are thinking of you during this difficult time -We are praying for you and your family
- May God be with you during this difficult time
- We are so sorry for your loss
- Please accept our sincerest condolences
- I’m sorry I couldn’t attend the funeral
- My heart goes out to you and your family
- I hope the memories of Jane give you solace in the coming days.
- We are wishing you comfort and peace
- I am thinking of you as you celebrate Jane’s beautiful life. She lived it well
- The Lord is close to the broken-hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18
- We are sending prayers, love and heartfelt condolences during this difficult time.
- With deepest sympathy and heartfelt condolences
- My (Our) heartfelt condolences to you and your family
Information to have on hand when calling for an arrangement
If the flowers are going to a home or office, they are usually addressed to the deceased’s family member(s). If they are going to the funeral home, they are usually addressed to the deceased so that the funeral home attendant knows where the flowers are to go.
It is a good idea to have the name of the deceased, funeral home and time of services available. We can always check with the funeral home to make sure that all information is accurate.
Have a budget in mind of what you would like to spend. Smaller arrangements like vases and baskets that can sit on a table can start at around $75. Standing sprays, standing baskets and floor baskets start at $150. Other standing sprays such as hearts, wreaths and crosses vary in price depending on the size and types of flowers used. There are also other options available. Looking at our website before you call is helpful to get an idea of what we have to offer and what you might like.
Funeral pieces, like all our other pieces, are handmade with care. Sometimes certain flowers are not in season and will be substituted with other flowers. We can do our best to accommodate last-minute orders depending on the time frame.